Friday, February 25, 2011

Day One

Today was pretty hectic, and I barely had time to even acknowledge that it was day one of vegetarianism! Didn't really have time to eat most of the day. I had class and meetings throughout the day. I then went to the grocery store and got stuck in traffic on the way there and back. I didn't really have time to cook, so I ended up ordering dinner instead of using the stuff I bought. My meals were as such:

Breakfast: yogurt and granola, toast and cashew butter
Lunch?: Luna Bar
Snack: pita and hummus
Snack: starburst, Coke Zero (nasty!)

I am ending today with takeout. This is the first time I have purposely ordered a vegetarian dish. It's a Thai veggie dish that comes with broth and brown rice. It's surprisingly filling and delicious! Red curry chicken is normally my go-to for Thai food, but this is an interesting change.

Additionally, I stocked up my fridge by going to the nearby farmer's market. My ingredients/food for the week are as such:

- cottage cheese
- quinoa
- red thai peppers
- strawberries
- apples
- bananas
- Shanghai bok choy
- portobello mushrooms
- eggs
- coconut oil
- sweet potatoes

I had a couple of staple items already, like steel cut oats, almond milk, rice milk (I'm mildly lactose intolerant) and a variety of frozen vegetables. I try not to buy prepared food too much, as it often has a great deal of sodium and preservatives. I normally try to make a week or so worth of food on Sunday. It'll be interesting to see what combinations I can come up with!

I don't really feel much different. I feel a little out of it because I didn't really have a healthy set of meals throughout the day. I normally make a bunch of chicken at the beginning of the week and ration it out, but now I see I'll have to start having more vegetarian prepared food ready in the fridge for the week.

I imagine tomorrow isn't going to be great either. I am helping out at a campus event where they'll be providing some not-so-healthy foods for breakfast and lunch. Hopefully after tomorrow my posts will have more information about recipes I'm experimenting with.

No comments:

Post a Comment